Sunday 7 December 2008

Copenhagen


This past week I went to Copenhagen to visit a friend from high school who's studying abroad there for the semester. I went to see the Little Mermaid statue and Amalienborg, the Royal Palace, and to the Carlsberg Factory on the first day. The Carlsberg factory is nice but I actually though the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin had a better setup. Although at Carlsberg you get two drinks at the end versus the one in Dublin.
The next day I went to Christinia which is basically a hippy population that lives inside Copenhagen but they're exempt from law. They basically created their own society. So there's a lot of cannibis paraphernalia around. The buildings are graffittied but it's actually really pretty artwork. We didn't stay long though. I went to the National Museum in Copenhagen which was massive. They had a variety of exhibits so I spent a lot of time there. The displays were really well done and there's pictures on flickr.

On my last day we went to the canal and saw the Christmas market. I went to the Danish worker's museum to see some WWII/Nazi exhibits that I had been wanting to see. Unfortunately these exhibits were all in Danish and German so I didn't know exactly what I was looking at for most of it, although I was able to figure most things out.



Overall, Copenhagen is a really nice, but expensive city. They're also a bit more modern than I expected. Once you go outside Copenhagen though, it's all countryside and smaller towns. This coming weekend is London and then in a few more weeks, Prague.

xx

No comments: