Monday 24 November 2008

Edinburgh: Take Two



This past weekend I went back to Scotland for the study centre's Thanksgiving. They put on a Thanksgiving for the UC students in Edinburgh. I went up early Friday morning since I don't have classes on Fridays. I ended up taking the day to check out Glasgow.

First thing when I went to Glasgow, I stopped at a Starbucks to get directions and I met a girl from the SF Bay Area who actually coached at a rival high school. I went to the Glasgow Cathedral and Provand's Lordship- the oldest house in Glasgow. I randomly found the Glasgow Necropolis and explored there. It's right by the cathedral and up on a hill so you get amazing views of Glasgow. Luckily it didn't rain and it wasn't too cold when I was there either.


Since it gets dark around 4pm now, I just took the opportunity to walk around the city centre and look at all the Christmas lights. Scotland in general is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Glasgow seemed to have more of a modern feel to it, reminding of San Fran with a Starbucks on every other corner. But, if you walk less than a mile, you're surrounded by history.

The rest of the weekend was spent having Thanksgiving dinner and hanging out with UC friends. Unfortunately the dinner was only mediocre but they had Ceilidh which ended up being a lot of fun. The hostel was fun too and we ended up making some new friends.

This week my friends and I plan on having our own, more traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Hopefully that goes well...it should be interesting to see how the turkey turns out! Next week I'll be going to Copenhagen!

xx

No comments: